hungoverdrawn

Bill Bryson
Dixie Lullaby: A Story of Music, Race, and New Beginnings in a New South
Mark Kemp

Missing Out

Missing Out: In Praise of the Unlived Life - Adam Phillips I really wanted to like this book as, having heard about it Radio 4's 'Start the Week' programme, I was fascinated by the premise. I still am, but I've come away with the feeling that none of the book's chapters really explained it to my satisfaction - nor did they go into sufficient depth/detail about how the unlived life could/can satisfy needs that can't be met by the lived life.I found that they often got infuriating close, particularly towards the end of the book, but then the chapter would end abruptly and the next chapter seemed to me to be a non-logical leap - it wasn't really a surprise to find out (as I did in the acknowledgements) that each of the chapters was originally a separate lecture.But then what do I know? This is the first book on psychoanalysis that I've read, and it has two five-star reviews on Amazon, including one that reads "Because of its fascinating aspects i [sic] reckon allot [sic] of people will find it hard to read." - so maybe it's me, the reader, that's at fault rather than the writer.Overall, I found it a bit of a slog - although I did stop part-way through the book to read Shakespeare's King Lear as Adam Phillips references it a lot, and I thought it would help. What I do know is, I'm glad I got it out of the library rather than buying it.