hungoverdrawn

Bill Bryson
Dixie Lullaby: A Story of Music, Race, and New Beginnings in a New South
Mark Kemp

Collected Prose

Collected Prose - Paul Auster I'm marking this down slightly as it contains two books I'd already read separately (in their own volumes): The Invention of Solitude and Hand to Mouth. That wasn't at all clear to me from the publisher description and I might have thought twice before buying it if I'd realised. That said, if I hadn't already read and enjoyed those separately it would be a solid four stars because those are good reads (no pun intended).It also contains The Red Notebook - which, again, has been published separately in its own right - and that apart from the books mentioned above is arguably the best part of it. The rest is honestly a little nugatory - prefaces, without the books that ought to follow them are not especially useful.One of the longer pieces, on French poetry, I found hard to get into as regrettably I'm not especially interested in poetry, French or otherwise (thought it did contain some sentiments on the commonality of French and English as languages which I found interesting as a Francophile and Francophone).If you don't already own the books collected here I would recommend it unhesitatingly; if not then it really is only for the dedicated Auster completist.